This easy and budget-friendly recipe for hamburger potato casserole is sure to please even the most selective eaters at your table. Plus, it’s crafted from basic ingredients you probably already have on hand.
Ingredients for Hamburger Potato Casserole:
To create this comforting hamburger potato casserole, you’ll only need a handful of simple ingredients:
Beef: Begin with a pound of lean ground beef for the base of this comforting casserole.
Soup and Milk: A can of condensed cream of mushroom soup combined with ¾ cup of milk results in a lusciously creamy texture.
Vegetables: You’ll require ½ cup of onions and three thinly sliced potatoes.
Seasonings: This hamburger and potato casserole is subtly seasoned with salt and black pepper.
Cheese: The finishing touch is a cup of Cheddar cheese.
Instructions for Making Hamburger Potato Casserole:
Here’s a concise overview of the process involved in preparing this delectable hamburger potato casserole. For the complete, step-by-step recipe, refer below:
Brown the beef and drain any excess grease.
Mix the condensed soup, milk, and seasonings together.
Arrange layers of sliced potatoes, soup mixture, and cooked beef in a prepped baking dish.
Bake the casserole until the potatoes turn tender.
Sprinkle the top with cheese and bake further until the cheese is perfectly melted.
Storing Hamburger Potato Casserole:
Any leftover hamburger potato casserole can be stored in an airtight container within the refrigerator for a maximum of four days. To reheat, thoroughly warm it in the microwave or oven.
Freezing Hamburger Potato Casserole:
Should you have leftovers, you can freeze the hamburger potato casserole for up to two months. Defrost it in the refrigerator overnight and then reheat it completely in the oven.
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 3 cups peeled and thinly sliced potatoes
- 1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 3/4 cup milk
- salt to taste
- freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- In a medium skillet over medium heat, brown the ground beef; drain fat.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine cream of mushroom soup, onion, milk, salt and pepper to taste.
- Alternately layer the potatoes, soup mixture and meat in a 11×7 inch (2 quart) baking dish. Bake in the preheated oven for 1 to 1 1/2 hours, or until potatoes are tender. Top with Cheddar cheese, and continue baking until cheese is melted.