Turkey Chili Taco Soup is a hearty and flavorful soup that combines the flavors of chili and taco in one delicious bowl. This soup is packed with lean ground turkey, kidney beans, corn, and diced tomatoes, and is flavored with a combination of chili powder, cumin, and taco seasoning. It is a healthy and satisfying meal that can be enjoyed any time of year, and is perfect for busy weeknights when you want something easy and comforting.
Turkey Chili Taco Soup
This Turkey Chili Taco Soup recipe is the perfect combination of chili and soup that satisfies my cravings. You can customize it with your favorite toppings such as sour cream, cheese, or anything else you like. It’s a healthy meal that can be prepped ahead for the week or frozen for another night.
When I used to work full time in the city, I would often buy the Turkey Chili Soup from Fresh and Co for lunch. However, this homemade version is just as delicious and much more cost-effective. Plus, it’s light, healthy, and incredibly filling!
Chili and taco soup are both very popular dishes in their own right, and it’s not hard to see why. Chili is a hearty, flavorful stew that is perfect for cold weather, while taco soup is a comforting and filling meal that is often served as a quick and easy weeknight dinner. Both dishes are versatile and can be customized with a variety of ingredients and toppings to suit individual tastes.
The recipe for Turkey Chili Taco Soup combines the best of both worlds, by bringing together the flavors of chili and taco soup into one delicious dish. The use of ground turkey instead of beef makes this recipe a healthier option, while the addition of vegetables like onion and bell pepper adds nutrition and flavor.
The recipe also includes canned or frozen corn, kidney beans, tomato sauce, and refried beans, which are all staples in Mexican cuisine and add to the overall flavor profile of the soup. The use of low-sodium taco seasoning and chicken broth keeps the sodium content in check, making it a healthier option.
By topping the soup with favorite chili toppings like sour cream, cheese, or jalapeños, the recipe can be personalized to individual preferences. This recipe is not only delicious but also very convenient as it can be prepped ahead of time and frozen for another night.
Overall, the popularity of chili and taco soup makes this recipe a winning combination that is sure to please any crowd.
Cook Tips For Turkey Chili Taco Soup :
Can I use ground beef instead of turkey in this recipe?
- Yes, you can use ground beef instead of turkey in this recipe. Just make sure to adjust the cooking time accordingly, as beef may take longer to cook than turkey.
How can I make this recipe vegetarian or vegan?
- To make this recipe vegetarian or vegan, you can substitute the ground turkey with a plant-based protein such as crumbled tofu or textured vegetable protein (TVP). You can also use vegetable broth instead of chicken broth, and omit the cheese and sour cream toppings.
How can I adjust the spiciness of this soup to suit my taste?
- You can adjust the spiciness of this soup by adding more or less chili powder and taco seasoning. If you prefer a milder flavor, use less seasoning, or if you prefer it spicier, add more seasoning or add some diced jalapeno peppers.
Can I make this soup in a slow cooker or Instant Pot?
- Yes, you can make this soup in a slow cooker or Instant Pot. To make it in a slow cooker, brown the turkey in a pan first, then transfer to the slow cooker along with the rest of the ingredients and cook on low for 6-8 hours. To make it in an Instant Pot, brown the turkey using the sauté function, then add the rest of the ingredients and cook on high pressure for 10 minutes, followed by a quick release.
How long does this soup keep in the refrigerator or freezer?
- This soup will keep in the refrigerator for up to 4 days, or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Can I add other vegetables to this recipe, such as bell peppers or zucchini?
- Yes, you can add other vegetables to this recipe to make it even more nutritious. Bell peppers, zucchini, and diced carrots are all great options to add to this soup.
What are some good toppings to serve with this soup?
- Some good toppings to serve with this soup include shredded cheese, sour cream, diced avocado, chopped cilantro, and tortilla chips.
Can I make this soup in advance and reheat it later?
- Yes, you can make this soup in advance and reheat it later. Just make sure to store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator or freezer.
For a nutritious meal that can be prepared in advance and frozen for later use, add your preferred chili toppings, such as cheese or sour cream, to your liking.
- Cooking spray
- 1.3 lbs of 99% lean ground turkey
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 10 oz can of Rotel tomatoes with green chilies
- 15 oz of canned or frozen corn, drained
- 15 oz of no salt added kidney beans, drained
- 8 oz of tomato sauce
- 16 oz of fat-free refried beans
- 1 packet of low-sodium taco seasoning (or homemade)
- 2 1/2 cups of less-sodium chicken broth
To prepare the soup, spray a large pot with cooking spray and brown the turkey over medium heat. Add onions and peppers, cooking for an additional 2-3 minutes. Then, add in the Rotel tomatoes, corn, kidney beans, tomato sauce, refried beans, taco seasoning, and chicken broth. Bring to a boil, cover, and let simmer for 10-15 minutes.
To serve, top with your favorite toppings, such as low-fat sour cream, jalapeños, reduced-fat cheese, chopped scallions, onions, or fresh cilantro. You can also freeze any leftovers in individual portions for future meals.
Each serving of the soup is 1 1/4 cups and contains 225 calories, 22g of protein, 31.5g of carbohydrates, 2g of fat, and 7.5g of fiber.
- Prep Time: 5
- Cook Time: 20
- Category: Dinner, Lunch, Soup
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 301
- Sugar: 9.5 g
- Sodium: 18409.8 mg
- Fat: 1.9 g
- Carbohydrates: 98.2 g
- Protein: 6.7 g
- Cholesterol: 1 mg
Keywords: Taco Soup
[inline_related_posts title=”CHECK OUT THESE AWESOME, EASY RECIPES:” title_align=”left” style=”list” number=”4″ align=”none” ids=”” by=”categories” orderby=”rand” order=”DESC” hide_thumb=”no” thumb_right=”no” views=”no” date=”yes” grid_columns=”2″ post_type=”” tax=””]