Whoopie pies, a classic American dessert, are believed to have originated in the New England area, with both Maine and Pennsylvania claiming to be the birthplace. These sweet treats are also popular among the Amish, who have been making them for generations. The name “whoopie pie” is said to come from the excitement children would express when they found the dessert in their lunchboxes, exclaiming, “Whoopie!” These indulgent treats have stood the test of time, remaining a favorite among dessert lovers across the country.
The Perfect Whoopie Pie Batter: Ingredients and Tips
Creating the ideal whoopie pie batter is essential for achieving that soft, cake-like texture. The key ingredients include flour, sugar, cocoa powder (for chocolate whoopie pies), baking powder, salt, eggs, milk, and vegetable oil or butter. To ensure the batter comes out just right, make sure your ingredients are at room temperature and sift your dry ingredients to prevent lumps. When combining the wet and dry ingredients, mix gently to avoid overmixing, which can lead to a tough texture.
The Delectable Filling: Classic and Creative Options
The filling is what makes whoopie pies truly irresistible. The traditional filling is a creamy, marshmallow-based concoction, but there are numerous variations to explore. Some popular options include cream cheese, peanut butter, or even flavored buttercreams like mocha, mint, or salted caramel. Feel free to get creative and mix up your fillings to cater to different tastes or occasions. Just remember that the filling should be thick enough to hold the whoopie pies together without being too heavy.
Baking Techniques and Tricks for Perfect Whoopie Pies
Baking whoopie pies to perfection requires a few key techniques. First, ensure your oven is preheated to the right temperature, usually around 350°F (175°C). Use a cookie scoop or spoon to create uniform-sized dollops of batter on a lined baking sheet, leaving enough space for the pies to spread slightly as they bake. Bake the pies for approximately 10-12 minutes, or until they spring back when lightly touched. Once baked, let them cool on the baking sheet for a few minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely. This will prevent the pies from becoming soggy or falling apart.
Storing and Serving Your Whoopie Pies: Make-Ahead Tips and Presentation Ideas
Whoopie pies are not only delicious but also convenient, as they can be made ahead and stored for later enjoyment. To store, place the cooled pies in an airtight container, separating layers with parchment paper to prevent sticking. They can be kept at room temperature for a few days or stored in the refrigerator for up to a week. If you need to store them for an extended period, consider freezing them for up to 3 months. When serving, you can present your whoopie pies as is, or get creative with a dusting of powdered sugar, a drizzle of chocolate or caramel sauce, or even a dollop of whipped cream on the side.
The filling for these whoopie pies is a dreamy blend of marshmallow cream, softened butter, confectioner’s sugar, and vanilla. When combined, they create a light and airy marshmallow buttercream that’s simply irresistible.
Homemade Whoopie Pies from Scratch: Step-by-Step Guide
- Preheat your oven to 375°F and lightly coat 2-3 baking sheets with non-stick cooking spray. Line them with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Set this mixture aside for later.
- Using a large bowl and a handheld mixer, beat the softened butter and sugar together until they’re light and fluffy (about 3 minutes).
- Add the egg and vanilla into the mixture, beating until combined. Gradually beat in the milk until everything is well mixed.
- Carefully fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients using a rubber spatula, making sure not to overmix.
- Scoop 1-2 tablespoons of batter onto the prepared baking sheets using a small ice cream scoop. Ensure there’s a 2-inch gap between each mound of batter.
- Bake the pies in the preheated oven for 8-10 minutes, or until the tops start to firm up. Remove them from the oven and let them cool on the baking sheets for 1 minute before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely.
- While the whoopie pies cool, prepare the filling by beating together the butter, confectioner’s sugar, marshmallow cream, and vanilla until fully combined and smooth.
- To assemble, spread about 2 tablespoons of marshmallow buttercream onto the inside of one cake layer using a piping bag or spoon. Gently press the other cake layer on top to create a delightful whoopie pie sandwich.
WHY ARE MY WHOOPIE PIES FLAT?
There could be a few reasons, but the primary culprit is often overmixing the cake batter. When folding the dry ingredients into the wet, be gentle and mix only until the cocoa and flour are no longer visible.
HOW TO STORE WHOOPIE PIES?
To store these delightful treats, arrange them in an airtight container with wax paper between each layer, and refrigerate for up to a week.
Recipe Tips to Keep in Mind
- The most crucial tip is not to overmix your batter! Blend the dry ingredients until they’re just combined with the wet.
- Make sure your cake layers are completely cooled before assembling the sandwiches. This helps prevent the filling from oozing out the sides.
- For a neat and tidy process, consider transferring your filling into a piping bag and piping it onto the cake layers.
Scroll to Bottom for Printable Recipe Card.
WICKEDLY GOOD WHOOPIE PIES
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 15 1x
For the chocolate cake:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup milk
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
For the marshmallow buttercream:
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup + 2 tbsp confectioner’s sugar
- 1 cup + 2 tbsp marshmallow cream (I used Marshmallow Fluff)
- 1 ½ tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Lightly coat 2-3 baking sheets with non-stick cooking spray and line with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl using a handheld mixer, beat softened butter and sugar together until light and fluffy (about 3 minutes).
- Beat in egg and vanilla until combined.
- Slowly beat in the milk until combined.
- Using a rubber spatula, fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until just combined.
- Using a small ice cream scoop, drop 1-2 tbsp worth of batter onto the prepared baking sheet. Leave 2 inches between each mound of batter.
- Bake in preheated oven for 8-10 minutes, or until the tops begin to firm up. Remove from oven and allow to cool on baking sheet for 1 minute, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- While the whoopie pies are cooling, prepare the filling by beating together butter, confectioner’s sugar, marshmallow cream, and vanilla until fully combined.
- Using a piping bag or spoon, spread 2 tbsp worth of marshmallow buttercream onto the inside of one cake layer then gently press the other cake layer over top to make a sandwich.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: DESSERT
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: WHOOPIE PIES