Olive Garden Chicken Gnocchi Soup – Fluffy clouds of potato gnocchi, tender bites of chicken and fresh spinach swimming in a sea of thick, rich broth. Another restaurant knock-off. Copycat chicken and gnocchi soup similar to the one served at Olive Garden.
My Mom is a lady who likes to lunch. With friends. Olive Garden is one of her haunts and her favorite is the chicken and gnocchi soup. Of course I had to recreate it for her at home. Which may or may not have been a mistake since she likes mine better.
I have a feeling I’ll be making this a lot. Given my love of soup I don’t mind one single bit. It’s another to add to my repertoire.
You can find potato gnocchi in the refrigerated Italian section of your market and in the pasta aisle and in the frozen foods next to the ravioli. I prefer the fresh, refrigerated type or the frozen.
A rotisserie chicken works well here as does leftover roasted or baked chicken.
It doesn’t matter if you’ve eaten this soup before or not. You’re bound to like it. It’s the kind of soup that hugs you from the inside out and the outside in.
Soup for the soul.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3/4 cup onion, diced
- 1/2 cup carrots, diced
- 1/2 cup celery, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- coarse salt and fresh black pepper
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 + 1/2 cups half & half
- 2 cups cooked white meat chicken, shredded or cut into small bites
- 1 pound potato gnocchi
- 3 cups fresh baby spinach, stems removed
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- fresh grated Parmesan and/or Romano, for serving
- In a large soup pot or Dutch oven heat the butter and oil together over medium heat. Add onion, carrots, celery and garlic. Season with salt and pepper and cook until tender over medium-low heat about 10 minutes, stirring often.
- Sprinkle the flour into the pot and stir into the vegetables, cook 3 minutes, stirring often. Stir in the chicken broth 1 cup at a time, followed by the half & half.
- Add the cooked chicken. Bring up to a simmer and maintain for 20 minutes stirring often. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook the gnocchi separately according to package directions. Add them to the soup along with the spinach. Simmer until spinach is wilted. Stir in basil. Serve with grated cheese.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g