TEX-MEX CHICKEN QUICHE – A cheesy, mildly-spiced quiche with a southwestern twist. Eggs and half & half are joined by diced tomatoes, green chiles, cheddar cheese, black olives, red onion and chicken over a flaky crust.
A tasty savory pie, quiche is one of my favorite things. You can fill them with anything and eat them anytime. This one is perfect for dinner and using a few shortcuts is easy enough for a week night. It’s also great to bring to a potluck or picnic and can be eaten warm or at room temperature.
Because you only need one cup of chicken this is a great way to use up leftovers and turn them into an entirely new meal.
To save time you can use a premade crust like I did although I do prefer making my own. Mama Bear had one that needed to be used up so I went with it.
Every bite is filled with rich cheesy eggs touched by a hit of spice and overflowing with pieces of olives, tomatoes and chicken. Altogether delicious.
I was sad when my slice was gone.
- Crust, or use a premade 9-inch one:
- 1 + ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons cold butter, cut into cubes
- 4 tablespoons shortening
- 3 - 5 tablespoons ice water
- 5 large eggs
- 1 cup half & half
- 1 10 ounce can Ro-tel diced tomatoes & green chiles, drained well
- 1 + ¼ cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- ½ cup sliced olives
- ¼ cup diced red onion
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup chopped cooked chicken
Make the crust:
- In a large mixing bowl whisk the flour and salt together. Use a pastry blender or two forks used scissor fashion to cut the butter into the flour until you get coarse crumbs. Repeat with the shortening.
- Drizzle with ice water one tablespoon at a time (you may not need it all) and toss to combine with a fork, once it starts sticking together use your hands to form it into a ball. Press it into a disk, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate ½ hour.
- Dust a flat surface with flour and roll the dough out to an 11-inch circle. Press it into a 9-inch deep dish pie pan and flute the edges or use a fork to make a design.
Make the quiche:
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl whisk the the eggs and half & half together.
- Stir in the Ro-tel, 1 cup cheese, olives, onions, ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon black pepper. Pour into the crust.
- Add the chicken pieces by hand so it's evenly spread out across the quiche. Sprinkle with the remaining ¼ cup cheese.
- Bake until firm in the center 40 - 45 minutes.
- Let set 5 - 10 minutes then cut into wedges and serve with a green salad.
Nutrition Information:Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g