BAKED RAVIOLI AND MEAT SAUCE – This is a comforting recipe for Baked Ravioli and Meat sauce with all the beloved flavors of lasagna but but being a lot quicker and easier to make. Using frozen or fresh cheese ravioli is the time saver.
Even though the meat sauce needs a bit of time to prepare it’s necessary for making this potentially dull dish delectable. And for giving it a home-made touch.
The first time I ate this was at my Grandma’s and I think it came about quite by mistake. We were waiting for my Grandpa to get home so we could eat together. To keep the ravioli warm she put them in a casserole dish in the oven. But not before sprinkling cheese over top, bless her heart.
I thought it was totally weird at the time because I never saw anyone bake their ravioli before. But it was a delicious discovery.
And a precious memory I shall never forget.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- coarse salt and fresh ground pepper
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 + 1/2 cups tomato sauce
- 3/4 cup barbecue sauce
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup diced pickles
- 1 diced tomato, seeds removed
- 8 ounces rigatoni
- 1 cup shredded smoked or sharp cheddar cheese
- 3 slices bacon, cooked crisp and crumbled
- In a large skillet heat oil over medium - low heat and add the onion, garlic and a pinch or two of salt and pepper, cook until onion are translucent.
- Turn heat up to medium and add ground beef, season it with salt and pepper and break it apart as it cooks.
- Meanwhile cook rigatoni according to package directions in plenty of salted water to al dente.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. and grease a 9 x 13-inch casserole pan.
- When the ground beef is cooked through remove from heat. Drain off the grease.
- Stir in both sauces, the vinegar, 1/2 the pickles, 1/2 the tomatoes, the pasta and 3/4 cup of the cheese.
- Spoon the mixture into the casserole pan and sprinkle the top with the remaining cheese, pickles and tomatoes.
- Bake until bubbly 20 - 25 minutes. To serve garnish the top with the crumbled bacon.
Nutrition Information:Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g