Grandmother’s Buttermilk Cornbread – Here’s how to make the most delicious cornbread you’ve ever tasted. You’ll love serving this with chili or stew, or fresh peas, or simply to eat hot from the oven with loads of sweet butter.
My grandma always made the best cornbread. It had a tender crumb, lots of vanilla and sweet corn flavor, and it was so moist it literally melted in your mouth. She held onto her recipe for years and after incessant begging on my part – I finally got the recipe.
Now, my recipe has a bit of a twist and a fun special ingredient that makes my grandma’s buttermilk cornbread … dare I say, even better (sorry Gram). I wanted to make a cornbread recipe that tasted like home as soon as I took that first bite – and this is hands down the most delicious cornbread ever. It’s one of those easy recipes where after you make it, you’ll be making it over and over without even needing the recipe.
Grandmother’s Buttermilk Cornbread
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- 8 Tbsp. Butter unsalted
- ½ C. Granulated sugar
- 1 C. Yellow cornmeal
- 2 Large eggs
- 1 C. Buttermilk
- 1 tsp. Baking soda
- 1 C. All purpose flour
- Salt to taste
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Mix together all of the ingredients except for the butter until smooth and creamy.
- Place the butter into an oven safe skillet on the stove, and melt it over medium heat.
- Once the butter is melted, remove the skillet from the heat, and pour the batter into it. Whisk the batter in with the butter until well combined.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until browned and cooked through.
- Prep Time: 10 MINS
- Cook Time: 20 MINS
- Category: Main Course