Chicken cutlets rolled up with roasted red peppers and mozzarella cheese stuffed inside with a pesto sauce topping. All my favorite things.
Chicken cutlets are skinny chicken breasts – if you can’t find them in your market you can pound out regular chicken breasts with a meat tenderizer. You want them to be very thin – less than inch thick.
I use fire-roasted red peppers in the jar – you can find them near the olives. They’re huge on flavor with a pop of vinegar that is perfect with the mild-mannered mozzarella.
I also use pesto sauce in the jar but you can make it homemade if you prefer. Maybe I’m being lazy but lately I’m all about convenience. . .
And quick, easy and delicious meals being I’m still unpacking and trying to get organized from my move. Six weeks later and I still have boxes. Insert giant sigh here. I just found a box of spices I’ve been missing dearly every time I cook. . .Note to self: never split up your spices, stick them all in one box so you can season your food properly from the get go.
Those are my words of wisdom for today. Along with this: make these for an easy weeknight dinner when you’re short on time but want something extra special.
And super tasty.
- 4 chicken cutlets
- sea salt and fresh black pepper
- ½ cup pesto sauce, divided
- 2 (jarred) fire-roasted red peppers
- 1 + ⅓ cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- about ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a small baking sheet or pan with parchment paper.
- Season the chicken cutlets with salt and pepper. Lay them down in a row on the baking sheet.
- Top each one with 1 tablespoon of pesto and spread from edge to edge.
- Cut the roasted red peppers in half and place one on each chicken cutlet closest to the skinnier side.
- Sprinkle ⅓ cup mozzarella over each one.
- Roll the cutlets up from the smallest end and secure with toothpicks. Sprinkle the Italian seasoning over them.
- Bake until cooked through 18 - 25 minutes depending on their size/thickness.
- Remove the toothpicks and discard.
- To serve top each one with the remaining tablespoon of pesto.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 0Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 0mgCarbohydrates: 0gFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 0g