Rich and fudgy cookies studded with chocolate chips and crunchy walnuts. They melt in your mouth in a flurry of chocolate-capped sweetness and one is never enough.
The cookies use cocoa powder as their form of chocolate and regular chocolate chips plus mini chocolate chips. That’s my secret trick. I like to throw mini chips into my chocolate chip cookies too so there’s chocolate in every single bite.
My other trick is to chill the cookies for an hour or so and then roll them into balls – I think they come out more uniform that way and bake more evenly.
Then I push a few more chocolate chips into the tops of them as soon as they come out of the oven.
Tricks of the trade. All the cool girls are doing it.
These promise to satisfy all your chocolate cravings so pour yourself a giant glass of milk!
And be happy.Print
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ⅔ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (16 tablespoons) butter, at room temperature
- 1 + ½ cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 + ½ cups semi-sweet chocolate chips, plus more for garnishing the top (optional)
- ½ cup mini chocolate chips or more regular chocolate chips
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- In a medium bowl whisk the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt together.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer beat the butter and sugar together 3 minutes on medium speed.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl and beat in the eggs and vanilla.
- On low speed beat in the flour mixture a little at a time. Beat until well combined.
- On the lowest speed (or by hand) beat in the chocolate chips and walnuts.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line two baking sheets with silpats or parchment paper.
- Scoop up slightly rounded tablespoons of the dough and roll into loose balls placing about 2 inches apart on the cookie sheet.
- Bake 8 minutes for soft cookies. (You may have to adjust the cooking time to suit your oven and baking sheet.)
- Press a few chocolate chips into the top of each one – if desired.
- Cool on the pan for 5 minutes then remove to wire racks and cool completely.
- Store in a tightly covered container in a cool, dry place up to 1 week.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: DESSERT
- Cuisine: American