Roasted potatoes smothered in olive oil, garlic, Italian seasonings and Parmesan cheese plus the always optional red pepper flakes for those of you who like a spicy kick.
They aren’t like most of my other roasted potato recipes where they get crispy and browned all over. This one’s different.
The potatoes are baked on top of each other in a casserole dish rather than spread out on a baking sheet. Some of the ends will brown up so you get a little crunch here and there but that’s not the goal.
The goal is to infuse them with tremendous flavor and bathe them in olive oil so they cook up soft and succulent.
I ripped the method off from my Mom and built on her basic recipe of potatoes, olive oil and Italian seasonings by adding the garlic, Parmesan and red pepper.
They make a great side for meatloaf and any kind of roast.
Roasted potatoes smothered in olive oil, garlic, Italian seasonings and Parmesan cheese. They make a great side for meatloaf, chicken or any kind of roast.
- butter, for greasing the pan
- 2 pounds russet potatoes
- ¼ cup olive oil (preferably extra-virgin but it doesn’t have to be), divided
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning, crushed between fingertips
- 4 minced cloves garlic
- salt and pepper
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- red pepper flakes, optional
- fresh chopped parsley, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Generously butter an 8×10-inch casserole dish.
- Peel and cut the potatoes in half lengthwise then lay each half flat and slice lengthwise into ½-inch wide half moons.
- Place the potatoes in a big mixing bowl and toss with 2 tablespoons of oil.
- Toss with the seasoning, garlic, 1 teaspoon salt, ½ teaspoon black pepper and half the Parmesan (plus a few pinches of red pepper flakes if you like).
- Pour into the casserole dish and scoop out any spices or garlic left in the bowl.
- Sprinkle a tablespoon of Parmesan over the top and drizzle with a tablespoon of oil.
- Bake 30 minutes then remove from the oven and toss well. Sprinkle the remaining Parmesan on top and drizzle with the remaining oil.
- Bake 25 more minutes. Toss well and season to taste with more salt and pepper if needed.
- Place them in a serving dish and pour any remaining oil at the bottom of the pan over them and garnish with a little fresh parsley.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Category: Main Course
- Cuisine: italian