These little broccoli cheddar cups need some explaining! Broccoli in a creamy sauce with cheddar, Parmesan, roasted red peppers, onion and garlic is baked inside tortilla “cups” fitted in a muffin pan. Simple yet special, they can be served as a side dish or appetizer.
To make the “cups” corn or flour tortillas are briefly heated in a frying pan and cut into 4 triangles. Three of the triangles are needed to form a cup – they’re pressed into the wells of a muffin pan point side down.
An easy cheese sauce is made stove-top with milk, a touch of Dijon, sharp cheddar and Parmesan then cooked broccoli is stirred in. After ladling it into the tortilla cups it gets baked until hot, bubbly and absolutely delicious.
I love the idea of using tortillas like this! They get a little crispy and hold up pretty well – I used corn but flour ones work too. You can also use pie crust or puff pastry.
- butter, for greasing the pan
- 8-9 corn or flour tortillas (6-inch size)
- olive or vegetable oil non-stick spray
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons diced onion
- 1 clove minced garlic
- ½ (jarred) roasted red pepper, diced
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 + ⅓ cups shredded extra sharp cheddar cheese (white or yellow)
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- sea or kosher salt and black pepper
- 10 ounces cooked broccoli, chopped into bite-size pieces (about 2 + ½ cups
- Generously butter 8 cups of a muffin pan. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Heat a frying pan over medium heat and working with one tortilla at a time spray each side of the tortilla lightly with non-stick spray.
- Cook on each side 30 seconds to 1 minute. Let cool until you can handle it and cut into 4 triangles.
- Fit each muffin cup with three triangles - points first - pressing the tortilla into the bottoms and up the sides. Repeat until all 8 are fitted with tortilla cups.
- In a small saucepan heat the oil and butter over medium-low heat and add the onion, garlic and red pepper. Cook, stirring often, about 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle the flour over the veggies and cook 2-3 more minutes, stirring often.
- Slowly whisk in the milk and mustard. Turn the heat up to medium-high and bring to a simmer. Simmer 3 minutes stirring often.
- Turn the heat down to low and stir in the cheddar a little bit at a time followed by the Parmesan cheese.
- Season with about ½ teaspoon salt and ⅛ teaspoon black pepper or to taste.
- Remove from heat and stir in the broccoli.
- Use a ladle to fill each cup with the broccoli mixture almost to the top.
- Bake 18 minutes. Let them set up 10 minutes before removing from the pan.
- Run the point of a paring knife around the edges of each one and lift them out by the edges of the tortillas.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 0Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 0mgCarbohydrates: 0gFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 0g