Boneless chicken breasts are topped with gooey Swiss cheese on a bed of thinly sliced onions in this crock-pot French onion chicken recipe.
The crock-pot does all the work of coaxing the onions into a caramelized state, a task that would take at least 30 minutes on the stove top while you babysit them the entire time, maybe longer.
If you never had a caramelized onion before then you are sincerely missing out on something special and you absolutely have to make this.
Thinly-sliced yellow onions are mixed with melted butter, Dijon, Worcestershire, a touch of sugar, salt and pepper plus a little flour to help thicken the flavorful juices that come out of them as they cook so you can spoon it over the chicken.
Slow-cooking the chicken causes it to be so tender you can slice through it with a fork. Just like butter.
Get this in your crock-pot in the morning and sit down later to one of the easiest, most comforting and delicious meals ever.
- 6 cups sliced (about ⅓-inch wide) yellow onions (about 1 pound)
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 rounded teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves or ¼ teaspoon dried
- sea or kosher salt and fresh black pepper
- 3 - 4 boneless chicken breasts
- 1 + ⅓ cups shredded Swiss cheese or 3 - 4 thick slices
- Spray a 4 or 5 quart crock-pot with non-stick spray. Add the onions.
- In a small bowl whisk together the butter, Worcestershire, Dijon, flour, sugar, thyme and ½ teaspoon salt plus ¼ teaspoon black pepper.
- Pour it over the onions and toss to coat.
- Place the chicken breasts on top of the onions. Season well with salt and pepper.
- Cook on low 5 - 7 hours or high 3 - 4.
- Top the chicken with the cheese and put the lid on to melt.
- To serve place the chicken breasts on a platter and top with the onions. Ladle the juice over them.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 0Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 0mgCarbohydrates: 0gFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 0g